Correct the Size or Shape of Your Ears with Otoplasty
Otoplasty can correct misshapen or overly protruding ears by adjusting the underlying cartilage and skin that connects the ear to your head. Dr. John F. Zavell has been performing cosmetic surgeries since 1993 and offers otoplasty procedures at his Toledo, OH, office. The results from this safe, outpatient procedure can improve the appearance of your ears and boost self-confidence by restoring symmetry and proportion.
Benefits of Otoplasty
Otoplasty can address many concerns related to the size and shape of a patient’s ears. Otoplasty is known to:
- Appear natural: Dr. Zavell believes that cosmetic surgery should not leave you looking unrecognizably different. Rather, his approach works with your natural appearance to enhance certain elements of your face and body.
- Boost confidence: Individuals with large or protruding ears often feel that their ears draw unwanted attention. Otoplasty can correct misshapen ears so they are no longer a distraction.
- Address a wide range of cosmetic issues: Overly large earlobes, protruding ears, and misshaped ears can all be corrected with otoplasty.
- Have a short recovery time: Not only is otoplasty proven to be a very safe procedure, but patients can expect to recover in about one week.
- Leave negligible scarring: Since ear pinning requires only minor incisions behind the ears, scars are barely visible. Other otoplasty procedures leave minimal scarring.
Otoplasty can address many concerns related to the size and shape of a patient’s ears, and is suitable for both adults and children.
Is Otoplasty Right for Me?
Otoplasty is suitable for adults and children. Dr. Zavell will let you know if your child is old enough to undergo the procedure. During your consultation, Dr. Zavell will examine your medical history and the anatomy of your ears. He will explain how the procedure works and provide you with an explanation of what benefits you can expect. Patients seeking otoplasty generally have:
- Disproportionately large ears
- Protruding ears
- Overdeveloped ear cartilage
- Misshaped ears
- Large earlobes
- Asymmetric ears
A Look at Otoplasty Procedures
Otoplasty is an outpatient procedure that requires minimal recovery time. It may be performed under local or general anesthesia. There are multiple surgical procedures that can be performed depending on what the desired outcome is. Ear pinning is a common procedure that corrects protruding ears. For ear pinning, Dr. Zavell makes an incision behind the ear near the head. Using that incision, he removes excess cartilage and tissue before suturing the ear closer to the side of the head.
Ear reduction surgery corrects large ears. Earlobes are a common treatment site for this procedure. Excess cartilage and skin are removed as needed, and the ears are reshaped under the skilled hands of Dr. Zavell. Ear reduction surgery can be combined with ear pinning. For patients with small or underdeveloped ears, Dr. Zavell can use a tissue graft to enlarge certain aspects of the ear.
Mild discomfort following surgery is to be expected and can be treated with over-the-counter pain medication or prescription drugs. While sleeping and resting the week after surgery, patients should elevate their head and wear a bandage that will protect the incision site. During a follow-up office visit, Dr. Zavell will assess the effectiveness of the procedure and remove the sutures.
Contact Our Office to Learn More
If you are unhappy with the size or shape of your ears, Dr. Zavell can review if otoplasty may be right for you. His goal is to perform surgeries that are not overdone and result in a natural, healthy appearance. To learn how otoplasty can correct the appearance of your ears, contact our office online or call (419) 871-9765.