Enhance Your Figure with Breast Implants
Breast implants can enhance the size, contour, and shape of a woman’s breasts. During a consultation at our Toledo, OH, plastic surgery practice, Dr. John F. Zavell can discuss your treatment options and help determine which breast implants will achieve the look you desire. Dr. Zavell has over 20 years of experience placing breast implants and is dedicated to helping his patients enhance their contours and improve their confidence.
Exploring Breast Implant Candidacy
There are many reasons why a woman may consider breast implants. For example, this may be an optimal solution if you:
- Feel that your breasts are too small
- Think your breasts are out of proportion with the rest of your body
- Have uneven breasts
- Feel that your bust line has lost volume during the aging process
- Wish to restore your appearance after a mastectomy
To be eligible for breast implants, patients should be in good general health and not have any medical condition that could make surgery a potential risk. Serious health concerns, such as cancer, bleeding disorders, or autoimmune diseases may disqualify you from this type of treatment. During a consultation at our practice, Dr. Zavell will discuss your medical history and aesthetic goals with you in detail to determine your candidacy.
Silicone vs. Saline Breast Implants
Patients who desire breast augmentation will need to choose which type of implants they want. We offer two types of breast implants, saline and silicone. Dr. Zavell will review saline vs. silicone implants with you during your visit, but here is a brief description:
- Saline: These implants have a silicone shell and are filled with a saltwater solution. Soft and durable, saline implants are available in round or teardrop shapes. These implants are typically filled once placed in the breast pocket. Therefore, breast augmentation with saline implants requires smaller incisions. If a saline implant ruptures, it is immediately apparent. Should this occur, the saline is simply absorbed into the body.
- Silicone: Filled with a silicone-based gel, these implants offer an incredibly natural look and feel. They are also less prone to rippling, compared to their saline counterparts. Silicone implants are pre-filled, so larger incisions are necessary to place them. If a silicone implant ruptures, it may not be noticeable right away. Therefore, routine MRIs are required to assess the condition of your implants.
Breast Implant Placement: Subglandular vs. Submuscular
Breast implants can be placed over or above the pectoral muscle, depending on the unique needs of the individual. Subglandular implants are placed under the breast tissue, but above the muscle. With this option, the implants can be more visible. There is also a slightly higher risk of capsular contracture. However, this option is typically recommended for body builders or anyone who plans on further developing their pectoral muscles. Submuscular breast implants are recommended in the majority of cases. These implants are placed beneath the pectoral muscle. This significantly reduces the risk for capsular contracture.
Breast Implant Features
Choosing the right breast implant depends on several factors, including the patient’s body type, where the implant will be placed, the amount of natural breast tissue, and the location of the incisions. Breast implant features include:
- Size: Implants are available in a range of sizes to accommodate different body types.
- Shape: Breast implants are available in round and teardrop shapes. While teardrop implants offer a more natural appearance, round implants help achieve fullness at the top of the breast.
- Texture: The majority of breast implants are smooth. This allows the implants to move around easily without causing friction. Textured implants are designed to keep the implant in place – a feature that is especially important when dealing with teardrop-shaped implants.
- Profile: This indicates how far the implants project from the chest wall. The smaller the base of the implant, the greater the projection.
Risks and Benefits of Breast Implants
Since breast augmentation is a surgical procedure, there are certain risks associated with the treatment, such as bleeding, infection, and allergic reaction. In addition, patients could develop capsular contracture, a condition in which the scar tissue around the implant tightens and hardens. This could result in rippling, discomfort, and disfigurement.
Dr. Zavell has been placing breast implants for more than two decades and stays current with the latest techniques and methods.
Due to advances in implant technology, breast augmentation poses negligible risks. In addition to enhancing your appearance, breast implants can help improve your self-esteem and provide you with a more voluptuous, youthful look.
Why Choose Dr. Zavell?
Dr. Zavell has been placing breast implants for more than two decades. In addition to his vast experience and knowledge, he also routinely attends continuing education courses to stay current with the latest techniques and methods. When you visit our practice, rest assured you are receiving the highest level of care possible.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you would like to learn more about breast implants, schedule a consultation at our practice. Contact us online or call our office today at (419) 871-9765.